Monday, March 29, 2010

Black Iron Horse


From Sorte
 
From Sorte

weekend we had the pleasure of trying the Sorte Jernhest a cargo trike bike. This is not a bike to try if you don't want to get noticed. I felt like an old fashioned ice cream vendor. At first glance this is a huge bike. It barely fit in the back of my dad's full size pick up. Although the width of the bike is less than my double Bob stroller (meaning it will be able to maneuver through most streets. The one we tested was in yellow. The cargo area is made of aluminum. It is roomy and comfortable. 
The most notable aspect of the bike is the rear steering (yep- it steers from the back wheel). This took some getting used to. I felt like it was going to tip at first. It also rattled loudly. Once I had weight in it the bike it was smooth. Once we added the weight of the passengers it was even better.  They claim it can carry up to 350lbs. At one point I had two kids, my mom, and our dog Rosie Pancakes (a lab).  I was literally in hysterics (we all were), but this is when you can see the true power of the bike. 
It has a drum and coaster and parking brake (the brake would be a must have for me with a trike bike). It has a 5 speed internal SRAM hub with dual chains. The mechanism seemed pretty complex to a novice like me. It did have a certain power to me. I could come to a stop on a hill and start up again without to much trouble. Thats pretty amazing with that kind of weight. I'm not sure about the dual chains. It seems like a lot of maintenance. 
I was unsure of a trike bike on Maine streets (and narrow shoulders roads), but after trying the Sorte I am intrigued. I'd love to try a more traditional trike (front steering). Plus, I really love the aesthetics of a wood cargo area and if I'm spending $4000+ on a bike I feel I can be picky! 
So in the end this bike is not for us, but I did really enjoy it and had loads of fun trying it.  If you ever get a chance to test one of these out go for it. 
From BlackIronHorse

From Sorte

No comments:

Post a Comment